You need strong support but all you get is grumbling.
You’ve got to find out why they’re grumbling. (Perhaps they are grumbling quietly, but that energy isn’t helping you.) You must find out why they’re not happy.
Grumbling could occur for any—or all—of the following reasons:
- They don’t understand what you’re talking about.
- They don’t like it.
- They don’t trust you or those you represent.
Your response to Question 1 in the assessment was that you were willing to be influenced by them. This is the place to start. Knowing the reasons why their energy is at a 2 can allow you to work with them to try to turn resistance into support.
- I encourage you to read The Magic List. (See the link below.) It will show you how to find out why their energy is at a 2 on The Energy Bar™ scale and how to work with them most effectively. You probably noticed that I’m using the word “with”. Your ability to influence often rests on your ability to be influenced in return. I urge you to find ways to get interested in what the world looks like through their eyes.
- Once you know the reasons that they’re resisting you, you have the information you need to begin to work with them to turn things around. Tips on Working with the Three Levels of Support and Resistance will give you some ideas for ways to engage this person or group. (See link below.)
- You might want to take a look at the video. I talk about the head of a small company that engaged in a novel approach to avoid downsizing.
- When their energy does begin to shift in your favor, take a look at what The Energy Bar™ Assessment recommends for a score of 6-3, 6-4, and 6-5.
Tips on Working with the Three Levels of Resistance. More
How to Make a Compelling Case for Change. If you found that people just don’t see the need for change, then please read this paper. It will show you ways to help people see WHY a change is necessary. The step of making a compelling case is the most important—and the most overlooked—stage in the life of any idea. More
The Magic List. A free e-book that will help you identify why people might be resisting you. It will show you how to build on the support you do have and work effectively with whatever resistance you are facing. More
Why Resistance Matters is a four-page article that describes three levels of support and resistance. More
The Energy Bar™ Group
It’s most likely that you’re here because you need to gain support from a team, a full organization, or one key person - possibly for a one-time project, an idea that you'd like to see come to life, or maybe for a large-scale organization change. Keep the momentum going and join The Energy Bar™ Group. Our informal online group is where I share my very best work and resources, with examples of people using The Energy Bar™ effectively in organizations. It’s a place for you to connect with peers, ask questions and offer your own ideas. Our group is free to join, and you can opt out easily at any time. I hope you’ll consider joining me. – Rick Maurer